The Chairperson of Inter-religious Council for Kigezi sub-region Rev Fr Gaetano Batanyenda has called for swift action by President Museveni on government officials who allegedly misappropriated government funds meant for Karamoja sub region.
The former Kitanga Parish priest in the Kabale catholic Diocese Rev. Fr. Gaetano Batanyenda was yesterday addressing journalists in Kabale town at Miami Hotel.
He questioned whether the government officials who picked iron sheets from the office of the prime minister were sent to deliver them and if the Prime Minister Robina Nabbanja sent the vice president to deliver them.
“If they were messengers, how come that the prime minister never sent president Museveni yet He knows more people than his vice? Why am I not a messenger? Yet they are! And why did the Prime Minister send herself?” Gaetano questioned
He called upon president Museveni to, arrest and force the implicated government officials refund the iron sheets if He is to save karamoja sub region
He however said that the public is fed up with the government not taking action on people misappropriating government funds and this is the right time to test president Museveni.
He further said that it’s unfortunate that Government Ministers are the one misappropriating government iron sheets meant for Karamoja, a region that has got the most vulnerable people in the whole country.
He added that Karamoja has been experiencing prolonged drought from January-December which should attract the attention of the government.
“See, the region recently was attacked by desert locusts that destroyed everything on the ground” he added
Last week, the minister for karamoja affairs Maria Goretti Kitutu was accused of mismanaging relief items allocated to her where the iron sheets were reportedly found at her relatives homes in Namisindwa where she is a district woman member of parliament
It’s now established that a secret crack intelligence team ordered by president has commenced investigations to ascertain the degree of misallocation of government iron sheets.
Sources have it that the G-28 and Pre-painted iron sheets were doled out last year and this year to the vice president, speaker and several ministers to enhance their political mobilization.
They were meant for vulnerable households, interest groups, institutions (churches, health centers, schools and Mosques) in the Karamoja region.
This is how misappropriation was done,
1. According to a list seen by our reporter, Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja received 2000 pieces of iron sheets meant for vulnerable families in Kakumiro and neighboring districts.
2. State minister for karamoja Agnes Nandutu who doubles as the Bududa woman MP received 2000 pieces of iron sheets.
3. State minister of Ethics and Integrity Rose Lilly Akelo who doubles as the Karenga district woman MP took 800 pieces of iron sheets
4. Speaker of Parliament Anita Annet Among received 500 pieces of iron sheets. Representing Bukedia district as woman Mp
5. Vice president Maj.(Rtd) Jesica Alupo received 500 pieces of iron sheets. She is also the Katakwi district woman Mp
6. Minister of state for finance, Planning and economic development Amosi Lugolobi received 300 pieces of iron sheets. He is also the Ntenjeru North MP (Kayunga district)
7. Seiko David Serumbungo the priest at ST Peter’s C.O.U Kungu in Wakiso District received 150 pieces of iron sheets.
8. CAO Nakapiripirit District received 3880 pieces of iron sheets meant for valunarable households.
9. Finance Minister, Matia Kasaija picked 600 pieces of iron sheets. He represents Buyanja county Kibaale district.
10. Minister for karamoja affairs Maria Goretti Kitutu received 1500 pieces of iron sheets on 1st January 2022, the same minister further received 1500 on 17th June 2022.
11. Government chief whip Denis Hamson Obua picked 300 pieces of iron sheets. He represents Ajuri County (Alebtong district).
12. Minister of state for Agriculture Bwino Fred Kyakulaga received 300 pieces of iron sheets. He represents Kigulu county, North Iganga district.
13. Minister of state for relief, Disaster preparedness and Refugees Davinia Esther Anyakun got 300 pieces of iron sheets. She represents Nakapiripirit district woman mp
14. Minister of state for Bunyoro affairs Jennifer Namuyangu got 300 pieces of iron sheets. She represents Kibuku district woman MP
15. Central youths MP, Agnes Kirabo took 200 pieces of iron sheets.
16. CAO Mororo district picked 1000 pieces of iron sheets
17. CAO Nakaseke district /Kinoni C.O.U. These received 200 pieces of iron sheets.
18. State Minister for finance (General duties) Henry Ariganyira Musasizi took 200 pieces of iron sheets.